For this project you will be using the NASM assembler to write x86-64 assembly.
You can then use your favorite editor to write the program.
To assemble your program:
• Assemble it using: nasm –f elf64 filename.asm
• Link to create executable: gcc –m64 –o filename filename.o
• Execute program: ./filename or filename
Write and submit a NASM assembly language program “string.asm” that:
• Asks the user for an 8 character string.
• A number representing the number of characters that should be cut off the string.
• Displays the unedited string to the user .
• And finally displays the edited string to the user with the number of characters
Below is a sample run of the program:
Enter the number of characters to cut off
This is what you entered
Here is your text edited
• The characters will be removed starting with the left most character.
• The characters can be a letter, number, space or others for example #,$ and so
• Remember characters are read in in ASCII.
• You do not need to use Jumps or Loops in this project.
General Project (Hard) Requirements:
• Code that does not compile will receive 50% off
• We are programming for 64 bit Intel Architecture
• This is an individual project and any work submitted should be your own
• You must have a comment at the top of the code detailing what the code does.
• This comment should also include your full name and user ID.
• You must use good coding style with respect to variable names, spacing, labels
• Submit only the .asm file named firstname_lastname_string.asm to
• You must submit the code before the deadline – no exceptions!
• You cannot use C/C++ function calls. You have to use system calls
Grading Breakdown: (remember that code that doesn’t compile will not get full credit.